SAI Grade Levels & Topics
SAI: the Summer Algebra Institute for Kids offers classes for students in elementary and middle school levels. We also occasionally offer an advanced class for older SAI alums who have successfully completed a basic SAI 56 course. Every now and then, we offer special topics classes such as SAI: Fractions and SAI: Logic.
• “There is nothing like SAI anywhere else in the country! My son loved the program and now has confidence he can master math of all kinds.”
• “The only reason my 5th grade daughter came the first day is because I made her go. But after the first session, she could hardly wait to come back. Thank you!”
SAI FOR KIDS (Grades 3-4; Grades 5-6)
With students entering these grades (for fall of the coming academic year), SAI uses a variety of models of algebra concepts to create a solid foundation for the study of formal algebra in later grades, while also reinforcing basic arithmetic skills. By the end of the SAI session, students have worked successfully with:
• simplify expressions like (2x + 3) + (4x + 5), and (2x2 + 7x + 6) + (4x + 5 + 3x2)
• factor expressions like 2x2 + 7x + 6;
• connect the algebra of (3x + 4)(2x + 7) with the arithmetic of (34)(27).
• “My daughter raved about the program at an age when she doesn’t say much about anything.”
• “We moved to another state after my son’s first year in SAI, and we drove half way across the country so he could attend his second year in SAI. Thanks for getting him so enthusiastic about math.”
ADVANCED SAI (for SAI Alums only)
Our Advanced SAI sessions are open only to older SAI alumni who have previously and successfully completed a basic SAI session in grades 5-6. Advanced SAI will explore further algebra topics in the enjoyable method of basic SAI while also using an algebra game that has been called “the Porsche of math games.” This course is offered only by special arrangement with parent groups or homeschool groups.
SAI: Fractions (Grades 4-5-6)
The full title of this course is SAI: Fractions, Decimals, & Percents. Here we bring the same SAI approach to this vital topic – using color, shape, size, texture, music, hands-on activities, symbols, carefully worded explanations and more. Students in this course can avoid many of the pitfalls that high school students and adults have trouble with fractions and percents! This course is offered only by special arrangement with parent groups or homeschool groups.
SAI: Logic (Grades 5-6-7)
This course uses our same SAI approach with algebra to make the topic of logic and reasoning one that is hands-on, sensible, fun, and challenging. This course is offered only by special arrangement with parent groups or homeschool groups.